Sunday, October 2, 2011

BEHIND THE SCENE SPOTLIGHT-MICHELLE HUFF

Michelle Huff! I met Ms. Huff at the Chicago screening for Stand Up For Family but was well aware of her prior to that. Her company Huff PR & Events is based in New York City, NY but work for her clients takes her to different parts of the country (and the world) including Chicago. She graciously accommodated my request to speak with her on what goes on behind the scenes. She was really excited about this event because it symbolized an outlet for clean family fun  I spoke with her briefly before the event. Happy Birthday Ms. Huff.  

pictured here with Emilio Ayala(Vital Marketing)



How long did it take to plan the Stand up For Family event?
MH: This event took about 4 months to put together. They taped it in Atlanta but it was decided to preview it in Chicago, so we wanted to make sure we were able to get the taste makers to help spread the word about this positive project. I couldn't have done this without the help of my girl Sandi. (Sandi Robinson is the Exec. Events Manager at Dana Hotel & Spa)

How Long have you been practicing Public Relations?
MH: You know I stumbled upon PR. I wanted to be female executive of a record label. I was working at Virgin Records then they moved their operations to London. At that time I didn't know what I was going to do until I got a call from Pharrell Williams (Neptunes) and he asked me to help them with a project and that's how it started. My connection in the music industry definitely helped. I love the entertainment industry because they are able to touch the consumer and most of my current clients are in the music industry.

How do you keep up with Trends in your industry?
MH: My marketing background helps a lot. We also subscribe to numerous publications and stay in touch with other industries and people that know what's going on and have their pulse on the next big thing.

What are some challenges you face?
MH: Challenges? Let's take this event for example We shot it in Atlanta a couple of months ago, then debut in Chicago and then nationwide. We have to be able to cater to each city's interests. Its challenging working with different cities but we make it work. You have to cater your pitch for the different market and know taste maskers in those areas.

What is the best advice someone gave you?
MH: Don't EVER burn your bridges because you never know when you will need that again. There's definitely a way to deal with certain issues and its important to deal with it than burn a bridge.

What is the best advice you can give?
MH: Be comfortable Networking. You have to be comfortable walking into a room and interacting with people. Most of my clients are from referrals. Networking is key.

You are throwing your dream dinner party for 15 people, who do you invite? what do you serve?
MH: Oh wow! (after a short pause) Definitely Emilio he's just so creative and talented. Donna Karan because she was one of the first people to believe in me and my talent. Barack and Michelle Obama for sure. Tamia and Grant Hill, she's my client. Ashanti who's also my client. Colin Powell, Bill Clinton, Betsey Johnson, Bill Bellamy-he's gonna have the guests laughing. My Parents because I'm a reflection of them you know. My girl Sandi too.
The drink of choice would be Jack and Ginger Ale and some white wine.
Food will consist of Maryland Crabs with old bay to keep it authentic; I was born in Baltimore. Real crab cakes that my daddy makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment